The Vilano Beach Town Center Project has been the recipient of several regional planning awards, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Sustainable Florida Award, and a Merit Award given by the Secretary of State from Florida Main Street for Outstanding Public Improvement for its Town Center Streetscape. The project has received over $25 million in grants for public improvements, including $4.1 million from the Florida Forever Florida Communities Trust to purchase the historic Fiddler’s Green property on the ocean end of the Town Center to be used as an oceanfront park, community and special events center for permanent public use, sea turtle nesting center, and waterfront access. On October 17, 2008, the community held a Streetscape Completion Celebration marking a significant milestone in its vision.
Following are just a few accomplishments from 1999 to 2003:
- Gateway signage and landscaping of the entrance to Vilano Town Center, 1999-2000
- Stormwater Management Plan -- grant from St. Johns River Water Management District, 1999
- Development/Approval of the North Coastal Corridor Zoning Overlay District established with a Design Review Board in place for mixed-use zoning for Town Center, commercial and multi-family construction which defines the desired community characteristics, and a Design Guidelines Brochure completed
- Growth Management Award by 1000 Friends of Florida for Visioning, 2000
- Construction of Nature Greenway Boardwalk, linking the residential area to the north with the Town Center to the south. Florida Inland Navigation District grant, 2001. Grand Opening was held in 2002.
- Town Center & Streetscape Master Plan completed with Waterfronts Florida technical assistance
- Application/receipt of a grant to build two waterfront pavilions at the pier and the beach
- Design and Permitting of two waterfront pavilions at the pier and the beach
- Vilano Pier Pavilion constructed with Florida Inland Navigation District (FIND) and Florida Coastal Management Program grants, 2001-2002
- Opening and dedication of the Beach and Fishing Pier Pavilions
- Council for a Sustainable Florida Award, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, presented by Governor Bush and his Cabinet, 2002.
- Northeast Florida Planning and Zoning Association Master Design Planning Award, 2002
- Designated by the Board of County Commissioners as a Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) with Tax Increment Financing to aid in the funding of projects for Town Center, Community Center & Surfside Park, 2002.